Proper pavement maintenance is crucial for the longevity and safety of any facility or property. At ARM Pavement Maintenance, we understand the importance of maintaining your pavement in the Detroit, Michigan market area, especially during the harsh winter months. Here are some steps that facility managers, property managers, and property owners can take to properly maintain their pavement during January.
- Clear Snow and Ice: It’s important to regularly clear snow and ice from pavement surfaces to ensure that they remain safe for pedestrians and vehicles. This can be done using a snow plow, snow blower, or by spreading salt or de-icing chemicals. It’s important to note that using too much salt or de-icing chemicals can damage pavement, so it’s essential to use them sparingly and follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Inspect Pavement: Regularly inspecting pavement for cracks, potholes, and other damage can help identify potential issues before they become bigger problems. This can be done by walking the property and looking for any signs of damage or wear. If you notice any issues, it’s important to address them as soon as possible to prevent them from becoming bigger, more expensive problems.
- Sealcoating: Sealcoating is a process that involves applying a protective coating to the pavement surface. This coating helps to protect the pavement from the elements, including snow and ice, and can help extend the life of the pavement. Sealcoating should be done in the late spring or early summer, but it’s important to schedule it in advance so that it can be done before the winter weather sets in.
- Pothole Repair: Potholes are a common problem in the Detroit area, especially during the winter months. These holes can be caused by freeze-thaw cycles and can be dangerous for pedestrians and vehicles. It’s important to repair potholes as soon as they are noticed to prevent them from becoming bigger problems. Potholes can be repaired using cold-patch asphalt or by using a hot-mix asphalt.
- Line Striping: Line striping is an important aspect of pavement maintenance. It ensures that pavement markings are clear and visible. Line striping should be done in the summer months, but it’s important to schedule it in advance so that it can be done before the winter weather sets in.
- Regularly Check Drainage: With the snow and ice that comes in the Detroit area during the winter, it’s important to make sure that drainage systems are working properly. This can prevent water from pooling on the pavement, which can cause damage and create slippery conditions. Make sure that all drainage structures are clear of debris and are functioning properly. If you notice any issues, it’s important to address them as soon as possible to prevent them from becoming bigger problems.
In conclusion, proper pavement maintenance is crucial for the longevity and safety of any facility or property in the Detroit, Michigan market area. By following these steps, facility managers, property managers, and property owners can ensure that their pavement is properly maintained during the harsh winter months. Regularly clearing snow and ice, inspecting pavement, sealcoating, repairing potholes, line striping, and regularly checking drainage systems, will help to extend the life of your pavement and keep it safe for pedestrians and vehicles. At ARM Pavement Maintenance, we are dedicated to helping our customers maintain their pavement and keep their properties in top condition. If you have any questions or need assistance with your pavement maintenance, please contact us.